
My most excellent blog buddy Suldog has a passion for Thanksgiving. His passion is so great he gets extremely cranky when Christmas decorations are in the stores before Halloween. Can't blame the guy, can ya?
I agree with with Sully. There's an entire blackout, in retail, of Thanksgiving.
Stupid profiteers just want to sell, sell, sell!
Let's face it, Thanksgiving Day is not the best advertisement for buying stuff. Any kind of stuff except maybe food for the actual Thanksgiving meal (besides my specific area where grocery stores may go on strike before Thanksgiving forcing folks to plan ahead!).
All stores except grocery stores and a few convenience stores are closed Thanksgiving Day.
SHOCKING you say?
Not at all, I say.
Take a day off of spending money peeps.
Spend the day appreciating what you already have!!!
I'm not going to get into the argument about the Pilgrims and the Native Americans in Plymouth, Mass.
Nope, not going there. (She says as she side steps any political issues.)
We all need to spend more time being thankful.
On the fourth Thursday in November, the United States decided to invent a holiday so that working folks could spending a day at home being grateful.
Let's honor that concept.
I know several of you LOVE to get all your Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa shopping done by the end of September. You'll that obsessively organized no matter what the retailers show on their shelves. (C'mon being that organized is slightly obsessive.)
Seriously,(have ya'll noticed seriously has replaced 'You gotta be kidding me!' in our culture?),do we really need all the freaking Christmas related items in stores before Thanksgiving day?
I will say loudly: NO WAY JOSE!
Four weeks before Christmas etc. is plenty if time to shop for decorations.
Who needs MORE holiday music?
NO ONE.
This is why I wear my iPod, so I don't have to hear another's selection of music.
Let's revel in the Turkey tradition!!
No red and green until Black Friday.
Boycott retailers who bombard the general public with early winter holiday products!! Do not buy from them, or wait until after Thanksgiving Day is over.
Embrace gratitude and rebuke the profit mongers!!!
4 comments:
The reason Sully is so anti-Christmas before Thanksgiving is that MANY stores had Christmas stuff up in August. AUGUST! People here are nuts.
I have a long-standing policy that I refuse to acknowledge Christmas before my birthday, which is handily 4 weeks and 1 day previous (it's on black Friday this year). I don't shop for the December holiday, plan for it, or listen to any of it's music.
I also generally don't leave the house to shop on black Friday, but that's more a very finely tuned sense of self-preservation than anything else.
Holiday music is why I finally caved and got satellite radio. I just detest being blasted with Christmas music everywhere I go--the car was the last straw.
As a non-Christian, the whole season gets wearing. And now it starts at Halloween!
Oh,crap. I am ashamed that I missed this, and didn't link to it. I'm going to add it to the end of the previous post, with the link, but I know it's little and late by me. Sorry! And Thank You!
Post a Comment